24 March 2008

Lil Bush and Democracy

As I sit here at 0340 trying to prepare myself for an 2300 to 0700 shift at Loudoun Fairfax Ambulance Services dispatching, I can't help but channel surf. Lo and behold I come across the TV show Lil' Bush on Comedy Central. Granted, this show is freaking hilarious but it also reminds me of one of the pretty deep conversations that made Antarctica enjoyable so much. Traveling around the country and the world has allowed me to speak with people from the left wing of the spectrum to the right wing. One thing this one particular conversation made me realize was how lucky as a country we are. When you look at other countries in the news you see a lot of violence because of that country's politics. We're one of the few countries that can settle its political differences without violence. We hold protests that normally do not result in arrests. We vote and debate about different parties without for even a second considering violence as a means of convincing the other sides. Hell, not many countries can allow TV shows and cartoons like Lil Bush on the air that blatantly make fun and shine negative light on their leaders. I dunno. To me that's Democracy. That's freedom. I wonder if the next president will have their own cartoon...

No comments: