12 October 2007

What a crazy ass day. For some reason, I love it when things don't go as planned and you have to come up with solutions to problems on the fly. I guess that's partly the reason why I love the firehouse so much. Shortly after I finished my written test for pump operators within the Antarctic Fire Department, I was assigned as the driver for Engine 2. After that, when our dispatcher had to go to lunch, the driver for Engine 1 had to come off the pumper and act as the dispatcher which meant I ended up driving Engine 1 while my friend Thomas drove Engine 2. After Lunch, I sat in on a Wilderness First Responder protocol class which turned out to be pretty interesting as how Raytheon and USAP combine their own SOP's in with Wilderness Medical Institute's protocols. The lecture also got me interested in McMurdo's SAR Team as I had stated in my last post. Anyways, I was back to driving Engine 2 only to get a call a couple hours later. My first call driving! I may seem like a dork to those of you in the department (or anyone reading this for that matter) but it was pretty significant to me. Albeit a bullshit fire alarm (Which in which I've been versed quite well after 5 years in Ashburn), I still was pretty excited driving. Haha, I could tell Tom wasn't as enthused as I was. When we got back we slacked around until dinner time.

No comments: