27 October 2007

Halloween and Fire Department Life

Last night was the annual Halloween party, considered the biggest party of the year and man what a blast it was. I started working on my costume around 1600 yesterday. 4 hours later, 2 rolls of duct tape, a roll of foil tape, and a shit load of cardboard, I had a pretty bad ass robot costume which rivaled some other costumes at the party. I have to admit there were some amazing costumes last night...some of which some people put a lot of time into. Underneath my costume I wore just a pair of boxers and gym shorts along with my tennis shoes. On the few places of exposed skin I had I wrapped foil tape to authenticate my costume. With the gym being a 1/4 mile walk, it was quite cold walking around dressed like that in 10-15 degree weather and 15 knot winds. I'm not sure when the party ended but I left around 0030 dreading the walk back to my dorm. I figured everyone would be still at the party or mid-rats (midnight rations in the galley) but to my surprise and dismay, there where hordes of drunks roaming our halls. Instead of trying to go to sleep I decided to get out of my costume and head down to mid-rats to hang out with a few firefighters from my shift. A pretty great end to a fun night.

Today is just a typical Sunday: very little to do and asides from emergency calls, there isn't a whole lot expected from us. I've spent most of my time today looking for a particular pair of mountaineering boots on ebay and sending out emails to people. I've been thinking about applying to the Lieutenant's position that just opened up in our department. I've been apprehensive about doing so because I still really don't know a whole lot about day to day operations down here but then again, our chief, one our captains, and several of our lieutenants are first-years as well so I guess it can't be that bad. I know I'm qualified as far as certifications go but I don't know if my attitude or experience is adequate for what they are looking for in a candidate. I don't know. Several people are pushing for me to apply so I guess some people are supporting me. We'll see

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you asked (for my email address). As I type this it is a balmy 40F here.:) Keep in touch. pfjrogers@yahoo.com in SC.