13 October 2007

Drunk One Night Working the Next

I woke up this morning very confused. I knew that I had been drinking the night before but I had no idea how I ended up in the bottom bunk of the other set of bunk beds far on the opposite side of the room from my normal bed. Anyways, I got my uniform on, brushed my teeth, cleaned the room up a bit, made myself a cup of tea, and headed over to the station to start my shift. The night before, the firehouse had tried to page some of us while we were at the bar to tell us that we needed to be at the firehouse 30 minutes early to head over to station 2. Great. So all day today, we get to hang around in a little trailer until that inevitable disaster doesn't happen. So far it hasn't been too bad. I've gotten in the habit of checking the weather conditions before I leave the dorm. The problem with the weather information down here is no one really knows how to get a hold of information from all of the automated weather sites. All our information comes from one of two sources which are either 1) the daily forecast which portrays the forecast for the base and not the runway (I didn't think this either when I first got to the base but the difference in the weather between McMurdo and the ice runway which right now sits only ½ a mile away from each other can be quite great) and 2) the weather condition model which tells you which parts of the area are in conditions 1, 2, or 3. Now the weather condition model will tell you what weather condition the runway is at which means shit until you either get hard information or experience the weather down there yourself. It's funny that despite being in condition 3 (the best you can get) the wind has been blowing at a constant 20 to 30 mph and the temperature is well below -10 compared to the 10 degrees everyone's experiencing in town. Earlier I got blown 15 feet across the ice while I was still on my feet. I almost broke the hood on one of the F-550 ARFF rigs when the wind caught it.

Life down here is pretty good. My neighbor across the hall is trying to hook me up with one of her co-workers which is pretty flattering but sorta unwanted right now. Since February I figured I wasn't looking for any time of relationship with anyone because of the complexity of myself and my life. On top of this spell of depression I've been going through, I don't think it would be fair to anyone to date me. I don't know. I met the girl last night and she seemed pretty cool. I hope that she hasn't fallen for me or anything and I hope my neighbor hasn't been talking me up. I somehow managed to meet half the town last night. I think I counted close to 15 people that said hi to me within a 10 minute period outside of the galley before I went into work. The sad thing is I really don't remember a whole lot of names. I mean, I'm pretty bad with names to begin with but being drunk last night didn't help any, either. Oh well. I guess I better get back to "work".

No comments: