24 October 2007

The Good Life In Antarctica

I'm really starting to get excited for SAR tryouts. I've been studying the USAP field manual, I've been practicing, and I've been hyping up everyone else that has applied. I'm looking to talk to the head guy of the team, Kevin Emery and see what I can pick from his brain. Another firefighter here has got me thinking of climbing Mt. Cook in New Zealand which again, I'm pretty stoked from just thinking about it. Life here is pretty good. When your inside it doesn't feel any different than a college dorm or a military base with a little bit more freedom. Walking outside is when you get reminded that you're not in the states. All around us on the horizons snow-capped mountains soar into the sky. The Ross Sea disappears in the southern part of the horizon. Our last sunset was on the 22nd so now we experience 24 hours of sunlight which create some of the most beautiful sunsets that last for hours. One loses track of time very easily when you look out a window at 12 AM and the sun's hovering over the world like it was 8 PM back home in the summer. The air is always crisp. USAP does a decent job of operating "green" down here so you don't smell a lot of pollution down here. I really love it down here and I'm already planning on coming back next year as well as for years to come.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved your Antarctic pix and video. Have heard a lot about your adventures as a firefighter. You've grown from an extremely mischievous little boy :) into a handsome responsible young man. I think it's great that you have taken a non-traditional career path. The experiences that you have had so far are invaluable. See the world -- And of course take lots of pix. Antarctica looks like a really beautiful place. Never forget that we are proud of you!!! Your cousin Pamela in SC

Unknown said...

Pam! How are you? Thank you for the well wishes. Do you have the link to all of the pictures? Email me so I can get your email address. Take care!