16 October 2007

After talking to my friend Dana, life has been pretty well for me here. The days are brighter, my moods chippier. I've been able to have a lot more fun versus just trying to take my mind off of things. I spent my Kelly day hanging around my dorm and a few other peoples, working out, and attending a mandatory outdoor safety lecture so that I may eventually venture out onto the trails here on Ross Island. It's amazing how fast time flies because I didn't realize that I had been here for 11 days until today. Lonnie and I got our 3rd roommate today and he actually turned out to be pretty cool. When he first showed up, we fucked with that pore kid relentlessly. Everyone that was in on his hazing acted like they were the biggest racists on the base…including me. On top of being racists, Lonnie pretended to be a huge drunk and I pretended to be a registered sex-offender. I even went as far as writing a note to our new roommate stating that Raytheon and the Commonwealth of Virginia State Police required me to notify him that I was a registered sex offender. I even found a sex-offender registry form on Virginia State Police's website and posted on our door for when he got back. At first, he was scared shitless. When he realized that we were messing with him, he took it rather well. Since then, he's been one of the group. A lot of today was spent just hanging around with friends from the firehouse and as well as a few others such as Christine, Dana, Aaron, and a few others that escape my mind right now. It's amazing how fast one can make friends down here. I found out that some people actually opted out of living in Building 155 because of the college dorm-like atmosphere. So far that's been the best part of being down here. Ever since I cut my trip to Morocco out of the picture, I've been trying to find something to do for a couple of weeks after I get off the ice. It'd be a shame to go straight home after spending 5 months in Antarctica but there's so much to do I've been at a loss for trying to figure out what the hell I want to do. I guess I have plenty of time to figure that out…

No comments: