28 September 2007

Unreal

Last night (now) was my last night at the firehouse for the next 4 or 5 months. Tomorrow I'll be Antarctic bound...an experience that will hopefully be a profound one for me. Something that will hopefully change my life. It's funny how firefighting has involved itself into my life so that it makes me revolve mine around it. Now, I'm heading down to the bottom of the earth to continue my career, my life in firefighting. I was hoping for a fire or something big tonight. Tomorrow I'll leave happy knowing I had seen one of the few people I had been dying to see all summer. I'll miss all my friends...but I can't wait to meet the ones I'll be living and working with Saturday evening. I've already found out that several people I worked with in Salt Lake City will be there Saturday which means I'll spend most of next week with them as well. Anyways, I have one day left. Exactly one day to finish packing, figured out the logistical nightmare of dealing with my gear for my Morocco trip, and spending my last night in town with close friends. Asides from everything that's happening, I can only think about how much I miss my pops and how much I wish he were here to experience this with me. This entire week, I thought about those I know and love both present and past. I've thought about those whom I miss and who miss me. I think about those whom I'm glad I don't speak to and who are glad that they don't speak me. I've pondered who will I meet, what kind of relationships with them will I forge. The weird thing about it all is that out of all of this thinking, out of all this rushing around getting things done before I leave Saturday morning, Saturday Morning, mind you, it all still seems unreal...

No comments: