11 May 2008

"1st" day tomorrow

The weekend is almost over. Asides from my friend rear-ending me the other night everything went pretty well. I went to a small party of our neighbor's co-workers. I had planned on just staying in and reading a book but they ended up dragging myself and my roommate (who also happens to work for Zion Helitack) out. Saturday was spent doing very little. My roommate Josh and I went out a few times but otherwise, the evening was spent inside reading on studying some material for work. Today was spent much the same way as Sautrday: reading and studying. Tomorrow is the first day of the season where the entire crew, seasonals and all, will begin working at the air center which means more faces, more equipment I have to deal with, more classes, and more reading material I have to take to heart. I actually can't wait. I'm not exactly thrilled to see how I'll fair with the PT to come but I really can't wait to start working tomorrow.

As I said in previous posts, our helicopter will be at the air center on the 26th. At that point, we start staffing it 7 days a week during the day (our SOPs state that we have to be on the ground within 30 minutes after the official sunset of the day). I take S-271/Helicopter Crewmember certification on the 27th through the 30th. This week will be spent getting oriented to Zion Helitack and Color Country firefighting. We have a prescribed burn to conduct on Tuesday and possibly Wednesday. We'll spend all day one day next week in the park getting oriented to certain features we need to take to memory. We have meetings to attend within the park and we have several classes and training we'll be partaking in before the fire season gets into full swing. All of that starts tomorrow I guess...

No comments: