07 July 2007

First Fire (Possibly) and Reflections on the Past Week

I've been slacking ass...I know. There was a lot I would've liked to talk about in the past 7 days but for some reason I never took the time to sit down and put it to the keyboard. My engine boss just called me 45 minutes ago and told me to possibly expect a call from him or my other boss to tell me to beat feet over to the shop so we can head out to our first fire of the season. Despite my excitement, I've been spending most of the time since he called (about 45 minutes ago) tying up some loose ends. I just faxed off my employment offer letter and terms of agreement to Raytheon's human resources department. I gotta fill my I-9 out sometime before I head down to SLC. This week has been pretty uneventful with the exception of a camping trip I went on...if you can call it that. I had planned to backpack in a few miles, fish the next day, and backpack out. Well due too poor logistical planning on my part, I neglected to plan the trip a little better or pack any insect repellent. I got eaten alive. At one point in time, while I'm actively swatting these bastards away, I looked down and saw 5 of them lined up on my upper arm just sucking away. The one thing that was really cool about the trip was around 3 AM I woke up to a light wind rustling the trees under which I was sleeping. Man the night was so beautiful. The moon was the brightest I had ever seen it in my life and the sky was indescribably clear. There was a lake only 20 feet away and being deep in the Boise National Forest, the backdrop which the moon had lit up was just amazing. Despite a lot of things going wrong and a treacherous 2 hour 30 mile drive, those few hours before I left at 5 made it all worth while. I definitely plan on going back when I've planned it out a lot better. Anyways, I need to get ready to head out. Be safe all of you.

No comments: