29 July 2007

One more week...

As I spend more and more time dreading tomorrow's upcoming events, I can't help but wondering where I want to go in the spring. I'm actually looking forward to just living out the rest of this entire year. Hopefully, Friday, I'll be joining the rest of my crew in McCall or wherever they may be. Even though it seems like it's far away, September 15th will probably creep up on me pretty fast. After tomorrow, the only thing I need to do before I'm completely ready to get deployed down to Antarctica is I need to give Raytheon my passport information. I was hoping to have more time at home but it's looking like I'll only have 10 days or so between the time I'll get back into D.C. and the time I head out for the winter. Over the week I got a better idea of what/where to expect from the trip over there:

Start at Dulles Airport
Fly from Dulles to Denver
Spend a day or so in Denver for an orientation to Antarctica
Fly from Denver to L.A. (Layover)
Fly from L.A. to possibly Sydney, Australia (Layover)
Fly from Sydney to Auckland, New Zealand (Or straight to Auckland if I don't go to Sydney)
Fly from Auckland to Christchurch, New Zealand
Spend a couple of days in Christchurch going through a few more orientations, picking up my cold weather gear
Fly from Christchurch to Antarctica

Now, I leave from the ice on February 28th. From there I'm looking to do one or a combination of the following:

Stay in Christchurch for a while
Travel to Thailand
Travel to Christmas Island
Travel to Morocco
Travel around New Zealand
Travel to Iceland

I dunno, I have a lot of reseaching to do...but then again, I have a lot of time in between now and the end of February. Between being out on fires and being in Salt Lake, I forgot how much I hate sitting around this house. Oh well. One more week....

No comments: