19 July 2007

First Fire(s) and SLC

I got back from the Black Pine 2 fire Monday afternoon. I can definitely say that I learned a lot in the 10 days I was gone and I can definitely attribute most of what I learned to Jason, my engine boss. All though I definitely don't see eye to eye with the way he leads or manages a crew, the man definitely knows his shit...which I don't, and I definitely don't have any right to question his authority. I learned a lot about myself last week. It's fucking hard after being in a leadership role for over 2 years to step back and be a pion again...especially when your leader is just starting to lead. Jason is a damned good firefighter and a great Engine Boss. I have so much I'd like to share with him about leading and managing crews of people from what I've learned the hard way over the past 2 years but its not my place to do so. The Black Pine 2 fire threw stuff my way that I could only dream of. Plume-dominated fires, crown fires, long-range spotting, etc. I learned so much last week I don't even know where to begin. Today, I spent most of the morning doing stuff for Antarctica. I started off by going to the dentist to do my exam. I was dreading going to the dentist for the pure fact that I haven't been to one since my freshman year in high school. I can tolerate pain...but not in my mouth and every time I went to the dentist...that's all I experienced. It amazed me today, however, how much technology has advanced in the past 8 years. There wasn't a a whole lot of prodding done which I was very happy about. However, my worst fears came true: I have to get 3 of my wisdom teeth pulled and a bunch of cavities filled that I didn't even know existed. I left the dentist's office $98 shorter and went to this place to have my lab work done. The nurse drew my blood and had me pee in a cup all within 10 minutes. I was in and out like that. The rest of today was spent packing for my trip to Salt Lake City. I finally met Andre and a few of my shift mates. They all seem like great people. Between the stories and the genuine niceness of everyone I met to night, I really can't wait to get down to the ice. Anyways, I have to get some sleep before tomorrow. Take care and be safe.

No comments: