31 October 2008

Wildland Jobs: The Beginning

With November rearing it's lovely face in less than 45 minutes the time has begun to think about summer employment for the fire season. The only positions that really enticed to apply for where the Fairbanks, AK and the Boise, ID smokejumper positions. Now, I really don't want to hear the "You can do anything!" or "You'll so get the job!" from those of you that are optimistic no matter what because apply for the GS-5 position is aiming pretty high for me and what I'm qualified to do. I mean, this is beyond high...this is pretty much aiming out of the park. I figured, however, that at this stage in my life, anything can happen and it wouldn't hurt not to apply. Anyways, I learned from last years application bonanza how not to recreate those mistakes I made so this year should be much smoother. As of right now, I am undoubtedly returning to Zion Helitack but I am keeping my options open for those extraordinary positions and opportunities that may arise.

No comments: