08 October 2008

McMurdo Station

After 7 days in transit I finally made it to McMurdo. This time no shock from the cold air, no awe-inspiring moments that freeze you in place...just complete and utter relief. As I described it to a friend, not so much relief to be out of Christchurch but a relief from society. I also felt like I hadn't left the place. Riding back from Pegasus Airfield back into town just felt like I had been on an extended "boondoggle". The first thing I was able to notice through the frosted windows of the delta we were riding was the radar dome that sits above town. It was great familiar site. At first I didn't know why until I started to see the ice pier, the chain-link orca sculpture at the intersection of the transition road and the ice pier road, and the dorm rooms. Then it finally hit me, that warm feeling that brough ease to mind and smile to my face: the feeling of being home. For now, I'm pretty busy with trying to get squared away so more will come. Hell, I'm amazed I found the time to sit down in front of a computer...but I couldn't wait to share how great it feels to be back here at McMurdo Station.

No comments: