04 September 2008

The Future

10 days are left till I drive home. It dawned on me last night that next week was my final week here in Utah for the rest of the season. Throughout the day, people have asked me if I was excited to get home or if I was excited to be going back to Antarctica. I really wasn't until the barrage of questions which drove the concept about the Austral Summer being so close hit me.

I had been hounding the travel department at Raytheon regarding my ticketing for my travels over the past few days. It wasn't until yesterday that I learned that my request to Captain Pahl to bump my deployment to an earlier day had actually been answered and approved. So instead of leaving 4 October I'm leaving on 2 October which puts me leaving Dulles around the 26th or so...which means even less time at home, probably 10 or 9 days. Either way, I'm still pretty excited knowing that by the 30th of this month I'll be in Christchurch, NZ.

As I said several times, I'm excited to get home but I'm sorta sad I won't be spending as much time at home as I had hoped. I'm still planning on taking next fall, spring, and summer off to work on my EMT-Intermediate and possibly my Paramedic. So far, unless something better comes a long, I definitely plan on going back down to McMurdo during the 2010-2011 Austral Summer. Surprisingly, despite how much I enjoy traveling and changing the seasons up, I'm looking forward to the stability that next fall will bring. Oh well. It's all in the future right now...

No comments: