18 September 2008

Back at the Firehouse

I can't begin to tell you how great it feels to be back at structural firefighting. A season of wildland can be mentally draining sometimes. It's a near blessing to retreat to the comparatively simplicity of structural firefighting. I ran as the officer on engine 6 Wednesday night, my first night back:





I was surprised that our station officer actually put me up in the front seat being my first night back but I wasn't really worried that I had forgotten anything so I just did what I was told. Asides from an uneventful roll-over accident and listening to a triple shooting take place in a neighboring fire department's first due, it was a slow night. Tonight was no different. We haven't turned a wheel and I doubt we will.

It was good to see all the people I had been missing again. There are a lot of new faces around the firehouse but the old ones are still there as well. The one thing that sucks about going back to McMurdo is the fact that I'm leaving my family (both at home and at the firehouse) again for several months.

No comments: