25 June 2008

It's gonna get worse...

Today is day 3 of my normal 3 days off before I go back to work. We ran a small fire near the end of our shift on Sunday which gave us a few hours of overtime. I spent the past 3 days trying to tie up some loose ends with my Physical Qualification (PQ) process for Antarctica. Thinking that I only had to get a dental exam, I walked out of the dentist's office yesterday with two cavities filled and -$375 in my pocket. The most exciting part of the past few days...

Today my roommate informed me that her girlfriend (my co-worker and other roommate) had told her that two of our co-workers have been sent to Northern California to help with fires out that way. Curious as to why 2 Helicopter Crewmembers from Utah were being sent to Cali so early in the season I decided to check up on some news and do some research on the fire activity in the country. I checked the National Situation Report, a daily report on fire activity across the country, and discovered how bad the situation is for Northern California. Over the past 24 hours there have been over 500 new fires that have started in the country....over 400 of which started in California. I also came across this article in firehouse.com. After reading the sit report, I counted Nor Cal had 18 complex fires already. A complex fire is a fire that composes of two or more fires that have burned together or 2 or more fires managed by the same Incident Management Team. Usually complexes don't start popping up until later on in the season. It being June only means the season's gonna get worse...

No comments: