14 June 2008

Zion Helitack, Utah Phillips, and the Days to Come

Had I the tenacity to post an entry on Thursday, it would have been pretty shitty. I was in a bad mood all Thursday. What compounded matters even more was the fact that my mood was affecting my work which in turn led me to make mistakes left and right and piss me off even more. By the time my bed time came around I had calmed down. Hearing my friend's voice on the phone and visiting her in the beginning of the week really help bring a smile back to my face which in turn made the following day a whole lot better. Friday and today was spent doing project work....all damn day. Southern Utah is ready for fire. A shit-ton of fire when it comes....the only thing we need now are ignition sources (i.e. dry lighting). My mind has been wrapped around fire and aviation policies for the past couple of days. I managed to get out and do some climbing yesterday only to come back home and read the Interagency Helicopter Operations Guide and the Interagnecy Aerial Ignition Guide till I fell asleep. I need either a life, fires, or to spend more time with my girlfriend that lives 10 hours away....

I normally do not talk about my political views with many people (well, my real political views) and I won't start now. I will say, however, that I'm really passionate towards the poor, the battered down, and the working class. I favor hobos, hippies, ramblers, folk singers, activists, writers, poets, musicians, and any free-living spirit over your average joe any day. I came across a man who fits into a lot of those categories, Utah Phillips, listening to a newly acquired Ani Difranco album entitled fellow workers. Utah's music and stories opened my eyes even more to those classes of society that are looked down upon or taken for granted by the majority of the population. It'd be a little wishy-washy to say that he sorta changed my life and my perception of such but he did something to me rather permanent. I found out a few days ago on a blog his son keeps about him that he had passed away on May 23rd. I had never got the chance to experience, not just see, him in person. I'm pretty bummed out about that. I'm glad to have found him before he died though. Hopefully I can find some bootlegged concerts of his to try to create an experience for me. Until then, I'm sticking with folk music to carry me for a little while.

Tomorrow is my last day of work for a few days. I'm not looking forward to it. We're suppose to be having some sort of "Physical Training Test" which includes an audacious run and possibly a pack hike. I'm sore as it is from climbing and an ass-kicking workout in the gym today. Monday through Wednesday will be the first time I'm not doing anything or driving anywhere for several weeks which will be nice. I have a pack of Miller Light and a bunch of magazines and books to catch up with. Maybe even more journal entries too...

No comments: