20 June 2008

First Fire and Ups and Downs

On Sunday, halfway through our shift, we got dispatched to our first fire of the season. The Corn Creek Fire, as it was called, is located near Escalante, UT and is still burning as I write. We spent from Sunday till last night [Thursday] on the fire doing work out on the line and running the helibase. It felt good to get out on a fire but it couldn't have come at a worse time. Between things I need to get done for Antarctica and dealing from personal trouble that brewed while I was gone, Thursday night and today were pretty shitty. I'm still pretty down right now but such is life.

Life around the air center is pretty hectic. I'm choosing to talk about this because I realized that my problems with my personal life (primarily depression and some personal issues with a few people) have really been affecting my work. Considering I have other people's lives in my hands, I take my mind off my problems a lot and focus on work....even at home. Anyways, we have a few tankers hanging around the base which is pretty cool considering how fucking huge they are. I've seen them in the sky and knew that they were big but damn. All of the Air Attack platform planes are stationed at the base now. We have another helitack crew from Boise hanging out for a few weeks as well. When the fire season truly kicks off, we'll have a bunch of BLM Smokejumpers from Boise as well as a shit load of heavy air tankers and a Sikorsky S-64 Skycrane. Hopefully I'll stay busy enough to keep my mind off of my personal life for a while...

No comments: