09 July 2008

Fire, fire, and more fire....

Thursday the 26th, we headed for a fire west of Escalante in the town of Boulder. What was initially reported to be 10 acres or so turned out to be a couple hundred acres by the time our helicopter arrived.




This was my first fire where I was on the initial attack load on our helicopter. Unfortunately I didn't get my new camera until I got back damn near two weeks later so I don't have many photos of the fire which was called the Bear Creek Fire. We left the Bear Creek fire to stage at the Escalante Airport for the lightening storms coming through. Between Monday and Wednesday, we ran 7 fires because of the lightening. Thursday I made it back home for the first time in a week to pick up my new camera. The next day (the 4th) we went back to Bryce Canyon Airport where we had been since Wednesday for reasons that escape even our management. Saturday and Sunday were 'normal' workdays for us at the air center back in Cedar City. With dry lightening finally plaguing the area, we ran 7 fires between the two days. Needless to say, the fire season is here....

No comments: