14 April 2008

WEMT Class Life

The days are getting warmer. Yesterday was hot! I actually regretted wearing pants in place of shorts for once. I made it into Yosemite park for the first time this weekend. Man, what a beautiful place. Seeing in person El Capitan, Half Dome, Quarter Dome, The Nose, and a slew of other climbs that have plagued my dreams and aspirations was absolutely amazing. A bunch of us hiked up to Upper Yosemite falls which turned out to be a 6.8 mile hike both ways with an altitude gain of 3,000+ ft. I nearly destroyed my knees but I'm thankful that I went on the hike. Being around so many hikers and climbers is exhilarating. I have a new found enthusiasm for where I'm at, what I'm learning, and with whom I'm taking this class. Yesterday was spent recovering from my hike and swimming in the Merced River which runs along Hwy 140 where the Yosemite Bug Hostel is located. It's weird knowing that by the end of this week, the class will be half done. 4 more weeks till I start fighting fire...

No comments: