08 April 2008

A Week of Driving

I feel pretty shitty that I didn't write any posts throughout one of the most important weeks of this year. I've made it to Cali. I left DC at 0700 Tuesday morning and made it to Flagstaff, AZ by 2000 Wednesday...now that is a lot of driving. I made sure to drive from Flagstaff to Cedar City during the day as I did not want to miss seeing that country in the daylight. Driving through northern Arizona was amazing. Marble canyon (which turns into the Grand Canyon within 100 miles from where I was) was pretty cool to drive over. I started passing some amazing geology as I inched closer and closer to Utah and Zion. To my surprise I made it to Zion NP to find out that I would have to drive through the park to get to Springdale, I-15, and eventually Cedar City. This, of course, was not an issue. As I've yet to venture into Yosemite Park, Zion remains one of the most amazing places I have ever physically laid my eyes on. The color of the mountains, the size of the rock faces, everything. That was the best 45 minutes of the week, driving through the park. Surprisingly, it's not a long drive from the entrance of Zion to Cedar City. I finally made it into the place I had been talking about for months...Cedar City. I met my boss(es), explored the town, and explored the mountains nearby which are only a couple miles from the end of town. I left Cedar City for Mammoth Lakes to pick up a friend of mine from Antarctica Saturday morning and headed across nothingness, Nevada. The only thing remotely interesting about my drive across the Nevada desert was driving on The Extra Terrestrial Highway, a 90 mile stretch of highway that supposedly receives a lot of UFO sightings. Considering not shit can be found along that high way, the excitement of being on it died off after about 20 miles. I made it to Mammoth Lakes, California after 6 hours of driving. It turned out to be a pretty cool little mountain town that revolves around skiing/snowboarding, biking, and climbing. I was sad to see it go. I even thought about living there for a bit. After a week of traveling, I finally made it to Midpines, CA to start my WEMT class. It's already turning out to be better than expected with the amount of friends I've made by today, day 3. I was looking forward to this class being over and the fire season beginning but I'm looking forward to drawing this class out...

No comments: