13 May 2007

Ft Picket and why I'll never drink again...

Wow, what a week. First off, I can't even begin to explain as to how fried my brain is after taking the class I took. It was called S-290 - Intermediate Wildland Fire Behavior. I'm really glad I took it in lieu of the class I was actually signed up to take but damned if there wasn't a shit load of work associated with it. All in all, I managed to meet a lot of good people in the same line of work that either I am doing or I plan on or sooner or later will be doing. I've always preached to some of my good friends to meet people where ever you go. Every new place you find yourself in. You never know who you're going to meet, what connections your going to make, or what doors will be opened for you. Haha, we've sorta made it a tradition to go out and celebrate our last night in that God-awful place called Ft Pickett/Blackstone, VA. Well, to make a long, drawn-out story short, I got incomprehensibly drunk Friday night. I woke up in a precarious position on the floor of my Barracks (I had fallen out of bed and was definitely feeling it), I may have possibly thrown up (it was on my shirt...I've yet to confirm or deny that I threw up), and it took me almost an hour to find my car. Not exactly a stellar morning, but it definitely had its hand in the makings of some good memories with good people. While down in B-Pickett, I managed to talk to a bunch of folks that have served on Heli-attack crews, hotshot crews, and engine crews and it definitely got me stoaked for heading out west. 8 days. 8 days, and I'll be on way to a new life. When I got to duty crew tonight, a surprise, impromtu going-away party was thrown for me and it truly made me realize how much I'm going to miss some people here. I think now, I'm doing more for the simple reason that so many people have told me that I was going to fail or I was making a poor decision or that I would back out. I don't know. I'm not worried about them. I'm concentrating on the people in my life that are supporting me. Well, it's 4 AM and I need to get ready for my last week here.

No comments: