20 February 2008

Last Day (Day 2) and another Death

Today is my 3rd last day down here on the ice. I was suppose to leave Tuesday. It is now 0845 Thursday morning and I'm praying to God that my flight won't experience another weather delay. The Air National Guard hasn't become desperate enough where they'll delay a plane a few hours versus a whole 24 so every time we get delayed, we get delayed a full day. I've been nothing but restless. My gear is already turned in back at the firehouse. My baggage is probably sitting on a pallet at the cargo center. I have one change of smelly clothes, my backpack, and my ECW gear. I've been offered another job offer with the North Rim of the Grand Canyon National Park but no word from Zion. Considering if what their manager said was true, I should be hearing sometime soon....supposedly today.

This morning, I received an email that broke the news to me that a friend, maybe not a close friend but definitely someone that has changed my life, was killed today in a work accident. The thing that's been pissing me off is that I can't feel any emotion in this place. I can't be at the firehouse to help place the black bunting on the building to signify the lost of one more brother. I can't be their to help lower the flag. I can't be there at his funeral. I feel no pain. No sadness. Just a blank canvas with neither emotion nor sorrow painted on it. I really need to get out of this place. A journey that's 3 days overdue...

Rest In Peace, Richard "Ricky" Muth. I love you brother and I'll miss you.

No comments: