23 January 2008

Rt 66 and the Yosemite Drive

As I sit here in the computer lab trying to plan ahead for April and May, I couldn't help but notice that the drive from Great Falls to Yosemite will take me along I-40...more significantly from Oklahoma City to Barstow California. Why is this important? Former U.S. Route 66 which ran from Chicago to Santa Monica parallels 40 from OK City to Barstow. For the few of you that actually read this thing I write in, you probably really don't see what the big idea is behind my excitement. Ever since I was a little kid and able to pick up a National Geographic or Smithsonian Magazine (yeah, I'm a dork), I had always dreamed about driving Rt 66. Rt 66 is everywhere. In TV shows, commercials, etc. You'll probably hear about Rt 66 in any nostalgic reference of Americana. I'm really getting more excited as I think about this. Since my class doesn't start till April 7th, I can figure leaving Great Falls on 1 April, drive my ass off till I get to OK City, and take it a little slow driving from OK City to Yosemite/Midpines. If I get the job in Cedar City (which is what I'm really praying for), I'll take another scenic trip to Utah by driving from Yosemite through Death Valley to Red Rocks Canyon National Preserve. I spend a day or two climbing around Red Rocks and maybe traipse into Vegas (shudder) a few miles away, then continue on my way to Cedar City. That trip can be more relaxed considering its only a 500-600 mile trip and I have 13 days to complete it. Now all I have to do is get through the 4 weeks I have left down here, 2 weeks in New Zealand, and 3 1/2 weeks back home...

No comments: