24 January 2008

My Father and My Education

Yesterday (Clarification: for those of you back home reading this just now, that would be today for you....aka the 23rd) my dad would have turned 69. The past 48 hours that's been a weird concept for me. It's still pretty hard to fathom that he's gone. Someone had told shortly after he died that life usually settles down for you (you being someone who has lost a parent or loved one) after you get through all of the "firsts"...i.e the first Father's day without him, the first Thanksgiving without him, christmas, anniversary, birthday(s), etc. 20 April of 2007 was the 1 year annivesary of his death and my feelings still haven't changed. I still miss him more than anything and I really wish he were here so I can share with him what I've seen and done.

With the EMT class I'm driving across country for in April, I will have earned 30 credits towards my Fire Science Degree. Between this and classes to be taken in the fall, I'll have hopefully earned enough to transfer to University of Alaska at Fairbanks to finish up my degree. I've been looking at UA for the past 2 years because of their Hazardous Materials Program and the campus fire department at which you can be employed while you attend school. The only problem with that is my VA benifits are to soon expire in October of 2010. I don't know. That's a few years from now. Right now, I need to worry about tuition for this year...

No comments: