06 January 2008

Redeployment

Redeployment into the civilized world is near. Tomorrow at 1330 I attend a one hour meeting on redeploying. The edge of the ice is getting closer and closer and the Swedish Icebreaker coming down should be here if not tomorrow, the next day. With it will come emperor penguins, more waddell seals, more adelie penguins, and beluga and orca whales. Life is still pretty good down here. With the end of the season approaching, I'm actually finding myself acting in a managerial role for the first time since I've been a lieutenant with performance evaluations and other issues around the station. I've been spending a lot of time studying Spanish (!hola!) and Arabic (السلام عليكم). With the end of the season approaching, I actually can't wait to get back to New Zealand and then to home! I honestly love it down here but I need to change it up for a few months. After all, that's the point of working seasonal jobs. Sometime this month I should be hearing on the wildland jobs I've applied to. I still have my heart set on Zion National Park although a job, period, would be nice.

No comments: