31 August 2008

Getting Ready to Move On

As my day at work draws near its end, I can't help but think about the 15 days I have left in Utah. Two weeks from tomorrow I'll be driving home to Great Falls, VA. I've been thinking about home a lot the past few days. I've been thinking about how I miss my mother and how I miss Ashburn. The Ashburn Volunteer Fire & Rescue Department, of which I've been a member since December of 2002, has gone through a lot of heartship and a lot of change in the past 12 months...most of for which I've been either across the country or out of the country all together. I received an email today stating that there are talks of an engine heading down to assist with with Hurricane Gustav. I want nothing more than to be there along side whoever steps up to help staff that engine heading down but I won't be home in time. After the summer wildland fire season next year, I'm planning on taking 2 semesters off to work on my Paramedic. I'm starting to really long for next fall.

I'm waiting till I get home before I start counting down till my 4 Oct deployment date down to the ice because at 34 days it's still depressing knowing I have that long to wait before I'm back in the place I love so much. For now, I'm enjoying my last couple of weeks here as well as preparing for adventures and academics to come...

No comments: