29 March 2009

The Devil's Beating His Wife!

So when I was young, I remember one day the sun was brilliantly shinning while the sky was lazily raining rain drops so fat that you could almost see the mirrored, convex world behind it. My dad, standing next to me at the time, was looking at the sky and exclaimed, "The Devil's beating his wife!" Not ever hearing my dad say anything like that before I asked what he meant (not understanding what the hell he had just said). His short explanation was that it was something that my grandmother had always said when the sun shined while it was raining (or when it rained while the sun was shinning for you pessimists out there...). It will be 3 years on the 20th since he died and memories like that with him are more precious to me than before. Today, while I was out cleaning out my car, the sun made its appearance across the land laying down a blanket of warmth as the clouds sprinkled rain onto the ground. I looked around at the trees starting their spring blossoms; the pink and yellow flowers that took me back to memories of playing out in the yard. I took a deep breath to smell that sweet smell of spring rain. I watched the steam rise off the asphalt on my drive way. I stood away from the protection of my hatchback on my car and just soaked in the moment and the rain. I looked up at the sun and smiled...

No comments: