08 March 2009

Back at Home

Sadly, my first night after a full day being back home was spent at the firehouse. To be honest, the night after as well was spent at the firehouse. The second night landed us a fire in Sterling, VA. What was dispatched as a townhouse fire soon turned out to be one with fire through the roof as reported by the first-in engine company. In the haze of trying to get dressed in the back as we sped down the road, I failed to hear what lead to a second alarm being sound. Sometime throughout our response, the fire was knocked down, the second alarm canceled, and our job being left to one of sitting and waiting. To explain further, in the Northern Virginia area, all of the fire departments follow the same response procedures throughout the different jurisdictions for certain types of fires. For the 4 engines responding to a townhouse fire, the first one begins their attack on the seat of the fire, the second backs up as necessary, the third heads to the backside of the house, gives a report, and fights fire as necessary or dictated by incident command, and the fourth acts as the Rapid Intervention Team or RIT. With us as the 4th in engine, we stood by in case a firefighter went down inside and needed assistance. We were soon released on account of the quick knockdown from Sterling. Considering the night before brought us an oven fire in our own first due, I felt confident in saying I'm no longer a black cloud (as in not getting any calls) for the time being while I'm back.

Tonight was spent with two of my best friends from as far back as elementary school. We spent a few hours at a bar in Reston Town Center reminiscing the days of high school and middle school. We talked about our current jobs, love affairs, and life in general. It felt real good to be talking to them again. I'm constantly meeting new people and bonding new friendships but it's the old friendships from days of innocence and youth that make you feel at home and, sometimes, at ease. Tomorrow I begin tackling the errands I need to take care of in order to get ready for the fire season (pre-employment tasks, unemployment for the time being, school issues, etc). I'm deciding to work for Virginia Department of Forestry again as a firefighter. It'd only be for a month now but when I get back in the fall, I'll at least be able to deploy somewhere throughout the semester(s) I'm back. Now that I'm done vacationing, it's time to get busy again...

No comments: