28 November 2008

Catching up...

It's been a while since I've written an entry, I know. Today, back in the states, is Thanksgiving. It's been a semi-depressing time but good friends here and at home have gotten me through this. It's getting progressively warmer here in town. I've been wearing my down jacket less and less and doing a lot of work outside in nothing but a T-Shirt (well, pants to). The temperature has yet to go above 25 degrees but it still feels pretty warm. In a couple of days, most federal departments will start hiring firefighters for the 2009 fire season which I can't wait for. I'm actually really looking forward to getting back to Cedar City (primarily so I can climb Moonlight Buttress) but I've been applying to other places as well. I really have my heart set on doing at the very least one season of fire in Alaska. So far, I've applied for Smokejumper and Helitack/Helirappel crews in California, Alaska, Oregon, Washington, Wyoming, Montanna, Idaho, Utah and as of today for Engine Operator positions in Alaska, Wyoming, and Colorado. Needless to say, just the thought of the hiring process for future positions to open up have really got me excited.

This time of year, I'm missing my family terribly. I'm constantly thinking of my dad and my uncle as well as the family I have that are still alive back home. I have new friends that I'm growing real close to and at the same time I still have friends back home that I remain close to. The holidays don't seem as bad as they did last year for me but I'm still feeling a little down.

Life down here, on the other hand, gets better and better as time goes on. The mountains surrounding the base never look the same no matter how many times you look at them. I fall in love with this place more and more with each passing day. It's going to be hard to take a couple years off from here...

No comments: