30 November 2007

Willy Field and Wildland Applications

December is finally here. Today, the ice town out on the ice runway was moved some 5 to 10 miles away onto Williams (Willy) Field on some nearby glacier ice due to the thinning sea ice. It's actually quite an amazing feat to move 20 buildings including a fire station, as well as all of the equipment and vehicles that support runway operations. The entire operation took about 8 hours to complete. To my surprise, since I haven't been down at station 2 in almost a month, I was stuck at station 1 while everyone down on the ice runway had fun.

I woke up this morning around 0530 for some reason. Not being able to fall asleep, I got up, got dressed and walked down to the computer lab for a bit. Low and behold, when I logged onto USAJOBS.com, I found that everyone and there mother under the BLM, NPS, and USFS was hiring....including Zion National Park! Through out the day, I've been applying to almost 20 some positions in Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, and Alaska. I'm looking to apply to Yellowstone National Park and Grand Canyon National Parks when they open up but for now, I've applied to most of the positions and locations that I had been wishing to. I guess that's the most exciting thing in my life right now.

No comments: