03 May 2009

A Sunday Spent in the Hoodoos

I studied well into early this morning only to wake up at noon today. When I woke up, I had the urge to get outside and do something. I knew of a small amphitheater of hoodoos about a mile off the shoulder of UT Hwy 14 near it's 14th mile marker...a little over 15 miles from my apartment. So I gathered up my bibs and jacket, grabbed my skis and boots, packed my avalanche gear, and hit the road.




From Miscellaneous Climbing and Hiking





From Miscellaneous Climbing and Hiking


The track I set with my skis to the base of the hoodoos follows a drainage supplied by melt water that goes from the cirque created by said hoodoos, under UT 14, and onward to somewhere deep in the Dixie NF. Thinking that it would be a little bit cooler at 9,000 feet elevation I was surprised to be stripping off clothing after feeling hot just standing still. The ski in was a lot of fun weaving in and out of stands of lodge pole pine and a few aspen trees here and there. The view from the cirque were amazing...




From Miscellaneous Climbing and Hiking





From Miscellaneous Climbing and Hiking





From Miscellaneous Climbing and Hiking





From Miscellaneous Climbing and Hiking





From Miscellaneous Climbing and Hiking





I did a couple of runs, practice making some anchors with my skis, pickets, an snow and ice features, then skied back to my car. The snow was either awesome or crappy depending on how much the sun hit it. I made it back to my car a few hours later after screwing around in the cirque. With a 2.5+ m snow pack I doubt the skiing will be limited only to the spring. Hopefully I'll be able to make it further north to ski some bigger snow.

No comments: