11 May 2009

Improvised Emergency Toboggan

During my epic adventure yesterday, after the first time I twisted my knee, I started thinking about self-rescue techniques that usually linger in my mind when I head out into the back country, more as an EMT rather than just a safety-conscious skier or climber. I remembered a few techniques I had read about that either left a lot of questions unanswered or required commercially built equipment to complete the package. Today, I spent it all spreading out the things I would carry for single day back country tours, ski-mountaineering tours, or multi-day skiing tours. After trial and error, I came up with my own improvised sled using the stuff I religiously carry on tours:



From 009
<



What you see in this photo:
Pair of K2 AT skis with rescue holes in the tips
Pair of Black Diamond Expedition Ski Poles
Black Diamond Raven Ice Axe (even though somehow I forgot it yesterday...)
15 ft untied prussik (7 mm soon to be replaced with 6 mm cord) with a standard carabiner
Black Diamond Deploy Shovel
x2 Brooks Range Ski Straps

Not shown:
x3 more ski straps I always have in my pack for a total of 5


This is the process I came up with:

Step 1:
Align the rescue holes in the tips of my skis:

From 009




Step 2:
Feed the prussik through the holes to it's halfway point


From 009




Step 3:
Disassemble shovel and place underneath the tips of the skis. Thread the cord from the skis through the top holes of the shovel.


From 009



From 009




Step 4
Cross the cord over the tops of the tips of the skis and thread them through the bottom holes of the shovel.


From 009




Step 5
Tie a bend (a connecting knot) in the ends of the cord and clip the standard biner that was used to rack the cord into the bend created by the cord.


From 009




Step 6
Thread ski straps through the holes in the head and end of the ice axe.


From 009



From 009




Step 7
Lash ice axe to the tails of the skis.


From 009




Step 8
Lash the ski poles (the patient's ski poles preferably) to the skis in the front and back of the bindings. Note: with my skis, I was able to use my ski leashes to lash the front pole to my skis.


From 009




Step 9
Real important for your patient's well being: if your skis have them, remove their crampons!


From 009





For day long tours, this is the extent of the gear I carry. It's not the most comfortable toboggan but it's definitely usable and pretty sturdy. If I were doing a multi-day tour, I could take the following extra steps to reduce hypothermia and further injuries:

Step 10
Lay a sleeping pad on top of your newly improvised toboggan (if yours is inflatable as is mine blowing it up would help).


From 009




Step 11
Lay a sleeping bag onto the pad with the head somewhere close to the shovel. Note: preferably I would put the patient into the bag before putting them onto the toboggan. It would be to their benefit to get them into a warm environment (i.e. a sleeping bag) as soon as you've finished an assessment on them.


From 009





Stay 12
Since on major tours (climbing, skiing, backpacking, etc) I carry a full 7 meter cordalette, I took the liberty to use it to lash the patient (in this case a comforter and a few t-shirts in a balaclava and ski goggles) to the toboggan utilizing the ski poles as lashing points.


From 009





Considering I was pretty sore from yesterday and I have no life, I spent all day toying around with ideas and perfecting it to my liking. Hopefully next weekend I can find a patch of snow and a willing victim to test this out!

2 comments:

HokieRider said...

I'd say you need a new hobby, but I think you already have enough. Perhaps you just need to watch more TV.

Is that a Marmot bag? I think I have the same one.

Unknown said...

What can I say? I strive to better myself as an EMT. Yeah that's a Marmot bag. Is yours a 0 degree down like that one is?