09 December 2007

Lt Position, Wildland Firefighting, and Connections

I interviewed for the Lieutenant's position within our department on Friday. To be honest, I really have no idea how the interview went despite how many people have asked me. I think it went well, but then again, I don't know if my Chief or Captain who conducted the interview thought the same way. For some reason, we're waiting until tomorrow to find out who the two new lieutenants' will be. At this point, I've sorta lost focus on the entire thing. A week ago, the National Park Service and the Bureau of Land Management began posting job announcements for positions within their respective organizations. So far I've applied to:


 

Zion National Park

Glacier National Park

Grand Tetons National Park

Mesa Verde National Park

Yosemite National Park

Redwood National Park

Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area

Point Reyes National Seashore

Mt Ranier Natonal Park

Denali National Park

Yukon-Charley Rivers National Park

Colorado BLM

Utah BLM

Idaho BLM

Wyoming BLM


 

It's weird how some supervisors have responded to the emails I've sent out. Some were pretty happy that I emailed them. Others were complete assholes. While applying for these jobs and attempting to contact the supervisors, I've come to find out how many people I work with and know that have worked out west…especially for the Park Service. There are two guys within the fire department alone that have worked for the park service as firefighters. I've met a few other people outside of the fire department that have worked as wildland firefighters. Just today, I was talking to one of the new firefighters that just came in last week who worked for the forest service as well as for SAR organizations in Colorado and California. On top of that he's a pretty experienced climber. If there's one thing I love about this place it's the connections you make with the people you work and party with.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heard you got it. Congrats!!! If I don't email you later have a Merry Christmas. P in SC